What is snoring?
While we sleep, the airways in our throat and nose relax. This can sometimes cause them to narrow, so air travels faster through them. As we breathe in and out, this faster flow of air makes the soft tissues in the back of our mouth, nose and throat vibrate. This is what makes us snore.
Causes of snoring
Nearly everyone has sleeping problems and snores occasionally. It’s usually not something to worry about. Generally the majority of snoring is caused by over-weight and is greatly reduced by losing weight. Besides obesity, respiratory diseases can also cause snoring. And the frequency and severity of snoring increases with age. The other causes can be:
- Alcohol consumption
- Sleeping pills
- Using antihistamines
- Sleeping position
- Heart diseases
Effects of snoring
Snoring seriously affects the family life because annoying the partner. In addition, it can seriously affect the health and quality of life. Because the person cannot have a quality sleep at night, the body cannot rest sufficiently and feels sleepy during the day. Besides, high blood pressure is more common in people who snore.
In addition, snoring can cause sypmtoms such as:
- Daytime insomnia,
- Morning headaches,
- Napping while driving or working.
- Snoring over time also leads to disorders such as high blood pressure and heart disease.
The more dangerous form of snoring is obstructive sleep apnea (cessation of breathing during sleep). People who snore in this way remain breathless for a while after snoring and repeated breathlessness over 10 seconds can endanger life.
Solutions to stop snoring
However, if the snoring is not caused because of any health disease, some changes in the lifestyle can help to stop snoring. First of all, if the people who snore are overweight, they should try to lose weight. Besides, not to consume fatty foods and alcohol, making sports could be helpfull. The following solutions also can help to stop snoring and get a good night’s sleep:
- Raise up the head of your bed,
- Sleep on your side instead of on your back,
- Stop snoring pillow can help to reduce snoring complaints as it helps to keep the airway open and prevent tissues from vibrating,
- Use decongestants to open the airways but not more than 3 days without talking to your doctor.
- Use drug free oil drops for cold/ illness induced snoring to clear your airways and ease your breathing,
- Use nasal strips or an external nasal dilator,
- Use snoring mouthpiece devices, which can be helpfull to stop snoring instantly.
- Stop smoking.
To know which remedy will work best for you, you need to try them and track your sleep. If needed, there are some mobile apps to help you by recording the snoring and to find the best way for yourself.